Thursday, April 9, 2009
Going through my email Inbox, I found the following group of clues and answers from an in-flight magazine puzzle I'd solved during my return flight from California in January. Hope these make you appreciate how smooth the fill is in most NYT (and LAT and WSJ etc.) puzzles.
- 14A: Water wheel - NORIA
- 17A: River in western Canada - LIARD
those two sat one atop the other. Then there's...
- 24D: Wild sheep of South Asia - URIAL (I *wish* it had been ARGALI)
- 30D: Jaguarundi - EYRA (?????)
- 36D: Itch in Scotland - YEUK
- 40A: Signet (Middle English) - SIGIL
- 42A: Echo-free - ANECHOIC (my personal "favorite")
- 31D: Tree frog - HYLA
- 47D: Intestinal obstruction - ILEUS (yeuk!)