Defrocked villain on Buffy Vampire Slayer / SUN 7-21-13 / Tatooine race in Star Wars saga / Atlantean Superhero of DC Comics / River that sweats oil tar T.S. Eliot / Capone's top henchman / J Carrol Oscar nominee Sahara / Dairy consumer's enzyme
Sunday, July 21, 2013
Constructor: Tracy Bennett
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: "Artful Thinking" — puns on artists' names. All clues are "?" clues and have "artist" in them somewhere.
Word of the Day: BOODLES (62A: Monetary bribes) —
- Money, especially counterfeit money.
- Money accepted as a bribe.
- Stolen goods; swag.
- A crowd of people; caboodle.[Dutch boedel, estate, from Middle Dutch bōdel.]
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/boodle#ixzz2ZdV93LAI
• • •
HELLO, DALI!" than 68A: Artist's favorite musical? I realize that you are using "artist" in every clue to provide continuity and signal the theme, but that's what the title's for? Or maybe a revealer. But a phrase like ONE TOO MANET is just wrong on many levels. First, MANET doesn't sound like "many" at all (accent on wrong syllable, For One). Second, the phrase makes no sense. You couldn't even invent a funny clue to make it make sense. In short, this puzzle is conceptually under-developed. There are many things that could've taken it in the direction of inventive, entertaining, funny, but instead it's just mildly amusing and kind of awkward.
- 23A: Artist's favorite spiritual? (WADE IN THE WATTEAU)
- 15D: Artist's line of weary recognition? (HERE WE GAUGUIN)
- 41D: What the tipsy artist had at the bar? (ONE TOO MANET)
- 68A: Artist's favorite Broadway musical? ("HELLO, DALI!")
- 56D: What the artist confused people with? (SMOKE AND MIROS)
- 89A: Artist's expression for "Such is life"? (QUE SERA SEURAT)
- 112A: How the expert artist passed her exam? (WITH FLYING KAHLOS)
I enjoyed the urban transportation pairing of HOP A CAB and CATCH A BUS right next to each other. Also enjoyed remember that the JAWA existed. I went with JEDI at first, knowing as I wrote it in that JEDI are not a "race" (1D: Tatooine race in the "Star Wars" saga). No idea about CALEB (75A: Defrocked villain on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") and I got AKEEM 80% from crosses (97D: Arabic name meaning "wise"). Otherwise, nothing too tough. Finished somewhere in the 11s. Pretty normal for Sunday. A bit on the fast side.